Monday, September 24, 2012

Millett Family Reunion

My family reunion was held the last weekend in July--the 26th, 27th, and 28th.  My sister Nichole was in charge this year.  Because they live in Pennsylvania, they opted to have it at my Aunt Patsy's cabin in the Uintalands. (I'm sure they would have loved to have it in Pennsylvania, but getting 33 people there, versus 5 people here, it was in their best interest to have the reunion in Utah. lol)  We left Thursday morning for the 5 hour drive to the cabin.  I think we hit an all-time high for us with kids puking in the car.  Lindey threw up (which is not normal for her), Eli threw up (totally normal every time we go through a canyon) and Micah was throwing up because he saw Lindey throw up (he's been getting better about puking, but couldn't stomach the smell!)  That was the first canyon....can you see where I'm going with this?  I'll spare you all the ugly details, but lets just say we stopped several times, and had car seat covers and plenty of outfits to wash once we arrived at the cabin.  Our five hour trip turned into almost six.  We arrived about the same time as the rest of the family, so it was a lot of hugs and kisses, and catching up. :)  I noticed that Lindey was not acting like herself.  She wanted to be held a lot and everytime I picked her up she would cry.  Wednesday night, Morgan went outside to water her flower pots and didn't get the door latched.  Lindey followed her out without her knowing, and the next thing we knew, Morgan brought her inside and said that she had fallen off the deck out back.  She was screaming pretty good, so I checked her out and couldn't see anything wrong except a few red marks on her side.  I figured she had scraped herself on the steps.  We put her in her pajamas and made her a bottle, then put her in bed.  The next morning we loaded the car, got the kids out of bed and into the car.  Lindey cried when I put her in her carseat, but quickly went back to sleep.  I couldn't figure out why she would cry when I picked her up, so I checked her again, and still couldn't find a reason as to why she would be hurting.  I asked my mom what she thought, and she said to check her collar bone.  Sure enough there was a big lump there that we hadn't noticed.  We decided it would be best to take her to the ER and have her checked out. A call to the insurance company to check our coverage (we were closer to Evanston, WY then Heber and wanted to be sure we were covered in another state), and John and I took Eli and Lindey to the hospital about 45 minutes away.  They were able to get us right in, had x-rays taken, barely spoke to the weirdo doctor, and found out the she had indeed broken her collar bone.  We were told that they really don't do anything for that anymore.  No brace--nothing.  We were told to expect it to turn black and blue like a bruise--it was a clean break and the bone marrow may leak out.  The bump would stay for 3-6 weeks as the bone would heal and have a scab on it--as that was reabsorbed, the bump would go down.  It would get less and less tender, and if it didn't then to bring her back in.  Within 6 months she will grow enough that the bump should fade away altogether.  We felt better knowing what was wrong, so it was worth the drive.  We took the kids to dinner at Wendy's (as we were missing Japanese back at the cabin--sniff--so sad.) and it was getting fairly late--we'd spent the entire day in the car!  We finally made it back to the cabin for the family fun. :)  (BTW, thanks family for watching after our other four children!)
 Friday morning we were in charge of breakfast--we had a few hints from Dad a few days before reunion to do our Melon and bread spread.  We did, and it was a huge success.  I made 9 different kinds of quick breads, and I think we had 4 or 5 types of melons.  After breakfast, we were scheduled to go to Mirror Lake.  It was pouring rain, but we pressed on and ate our picnic lunches in the car, and under umbrellas.  After a short time, the skies cleared, the sun came out and it warmed up.  Some of the family went fishing. (Thanks for helping our kids, Justin!)
We explored a little and smelled the flowers.

The rest of us sat around and visited and even made a couple of  bracelet crafts that Nichole and I brought.  We had a good time.
Grandpa brought his canoe and took the grandkids on several rides around the lake.  They all loved that!
Zander spotted the funny mushroom on a log from where we were sitting, so we went to check it out while he was waiting for his turn in the canoe.

A bunch of happy boys!  Ian looks so big next to the rest of our boys. :)  He's growing up!  He was able to help Grandpa paddle the canoe.

Grandpa always has a waterfight with the grandkids.  This started a couple of years ago and the grandkids always look forward to it.  This year for father's day, the grandkids bought him a super soaker with extra cartridges.  He was pretty excited about it.  He started up the water fight Friday afternoon.
 The kids would refill their guns with Jennie and Nichole (who were filling water balloons).
 It's pretty fun to watch.  The girls tended to hang back a little and get their shots in when they would count, whereas the boys were totally into it.  Chasing Grandpa, hiding behind cars, etc.
 Uncle Larry got into the action a little bit when he pulled out his firehose attachment.  Grandpa got a hold of it after a little while and the grandkids were done for.  Every one of them were soaked.  Their little squirt guns were no match for Grandpa and the firehose.
 Morgan's waiting to refill her gun.  She was having a great time.
 Eli was cracking me up.  He was really into the fight.  He would hide behind the trees, then run up to Grandpa and yell, "Bring it on, Grandpa!", squirting all the while. He was so funny!
 He loved every minute of it!
 Grandpa's done. :) (Love the bandana--it adds to your warrior look.)
 After the water fight the kids played a few water balloon toss games. 

 Zaralyn and Grandpa were really pretty good!  They were able to get the farthest apart without breaking their balloon.
John and I were the whirley pop judges this year.  That little competition was started several years ago (I think this was our 6th year, right?) and is always a lot of fun.  People brought their "A-game" this year.  There were so many good recipes! We really need to start collecting them.  I'm sad I didn't take any pictures of the entries.  That should have been part of their "interview" with the judges. lol
Saturday consisted of packing up to head home.  We had a family meeting and then we headed out.  Some of the family stuck around until Sunday or Monday, but several of us had to get home for Sunday responsibilities.  I wish we would have stayed a little while longer.  It was the "Tour de Park City" so it took us an hour and a half to get to Kamas from the cabin.  It should have taken a half hour.  The bikers were on our side of the road so we were going as slow as 10 miles per hour at some points until we were able to pass them.  It was a VERY long trip home.  We finally made it (no puking this time--yea! :)).  So glad we get together every year--especially with Nichole in Pennsylvania and Cassy now in Kansas.  We're getting a little too spread out for my liking. (You hear that girls??) Love you family! :)  Happy reunion!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...