Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Melon Days Memories

Whew!  Melon Days came and went.  My mom and dad came for a visit, as well as my sister, Cassy and her kids.  John's entire family was here, so it was fun to see them too!  Before school on Friday, Morgan started off the spirit of things by asking me to make her hair into a watermelon!  Wasn't quite sure how we were going to accomplish this, but we got creative and this is what we came up with.  The green rubberbands around the outside are the rind, then the pink ones are the flesh and we threw in a couple of black seeds.  She was a happy girl, so I guess we succeeded! :)
This is my booth at the park.  I had John's sister paula on one side of me (selling her hairbows and tutu's, etc.--she owns a business called Petals, Pens, and Pots) and John's other sister on the other side of me--  Coralie and her husband did face painting.
This is my door I painted.  We saved it from being sent to the dump, and I sanded and painted it before adding my little logo.  I think it turned out well!  Now I just need to find a cute doorknob for it--I'll be on the lookout before next year! 
On the back of the door we hung pegboard so that it would be multifunctional.  It worked as my sign for my booth and also a place to hang things in my booth.  It was such a good idea honey--so glad you thought of that! :)
Some of Coralie and Clint's masterpieces.  They had pretty cute subjects to work with!
Morgan and Britney...
Micah...
and Ian...
 
Ian was asking Clint all day Saturday to paint a watermelon on his face.  He had to wait until it slowed down so it could be done, so it was just before quitting time, but Ian was happy.
Saturday morning was the parade.  My kids were riding on Grandma and Grandpa's float, so the only kids we had to start the parade were Cassy's.  The boys got tired of waiting and were entertaining themselves by making their candy bags into hats.  Issac was sure that our parade wouldn't throw as much candy as the parade in Syracuse back home, but I think his opinion was changed by the time the parade was over. They made a haul!

This is our famous watermelon.  I think it sets a record for being the biggest watermelon slice or something, but don't quote me on that!

This is Grandma and Grandpa Hughes' float.  They had all the grandkids on the boat "Fishing for Melon Patch Memories". (The theme of Melon Days this year was Making Melon Patch Memories.)
John rode the float with the kids and said that Eli was having a good time waving to everyone and laughing and throwing candy off the boat. He also said that instead of throwing his candy, Micah was eating it! :)  Why am I not surprised??
Because they were at the beginning of the parade, the kids made it back up the parade route to where we were sitting and were able to gather a bit of candy for themselves.  They thought that was great! They got to be in the parade, and also reap the benefits of watching the parade and collecting candy. :)
Every year Grandma Hughes buys all the grandkids a t-shirt with the Melon Days theme on it.  This has become a tradition that the kids love!
Morgan was asked to participate in a dance group that would perform at the park on Saturday and ride on a float in the parade.  She didn't get to do the parade because she was already on Grandma's float, but she danced with the group at the park.  She is so cute and loves to dance. They did really well considering they only had four practices, and an 11 year old and 12 year old were the two girls that put the group together and taught the dance!
My booth did really well this year--so much better than last year!  I started with 54 sets of letters, and I only came home with 11, and I have orders to fill for 11 more sets.  I'd call that a successful Melon Days!  Now maybe John and I can get to the clothes in our closet! LOL

3 comments:

  1. WOW! That is wonderful! I'm glad your booth did so well. Darling stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad we came. We had SUCH a good time. The kids are STILL eating candy that they got at the parade. Which I made them all put into the candy jar. It's a huge jar and is STILL over half full. Wow, what a haul!! Thanks for inviting us to come, we've never done melon days before and had a great time. So glad you did really well at your booth. Even better...I got first pick at the cute witches!! YEAH!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you still taking orders??? I REALLY want a set of those darling witches! You're amazing! ;)

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...