Sunday, October 26, 2014

Levi Quilts

Well, I finally did it!  This has been a project on my to-do list for 3 or 4 years now.  I wanted to make Levi quilts for the boy's room bedspreads.  I wanted them all to match, but have their own spin on them by how I cut the Levi and the material on they back be their own choosing.  I saved Levi for many years, and was surprised that of the four boxes I had saved I only used one of them cutting out all four boy's quilts!  I decided that if I was going to do it that I might as well make quilts for the girls too.  Morgan and Lindey were so excited when I told them they'd be getting one too.  It was quite the project and it took me a few weeks to get them done, but I am so glad I did it!  The kids all sleep with their quilts and drag them all over the house. Lol--so much for the bedspread idea.
Ian choose a black and white checker for his quilt. He really wanted green and black check, but I couldn't find any.  The fun part about saving the Levi for so many years was that I was able to use pockets from some of Ian's favorite pants. When he saw his quilt all laid out, one of the first things he said was, "You saved my dragon pants??  I loved those!" :)  Made me smile (it's the square by his knee, by the way). Ian's quilt is made from 8 inch squares.
Teenagers--always have to pull faces as you snap the picture. Lol What a goob!

Morgan was so excited about her quilt as well.  I had pants from when she was 4 or 5 that had some fun flowers stitched down the leg, and sparkles.  Perfect for her.  When I asked her what kind of fabric she was going to choose for the backing, she said, "Squirrels!"  She really likes squirrels. Lol  I was worried that we wouldn't be able to find any because it was spring, and after looking online, I could only find a fall squirrel with yellow and orange leaves, or a really ugly pink squirrel.  Nothing that fit my cute girl.  We went to Scrapbook USA in March and went looking at my Aunt Paula's favorite fabric store. Morgan found this woodland animal fabric.  It has deer, foxes, bears, birds, and yes, squirrels! (And they are cute and pink at that).  I was so glad we were able to find something to her liking. Morgan's quilt is made out of 6 inch squares.

I guess it's not just teenagers...lol

When we went to pick out Zander's backing fabric, he went straight to this blue and said, "I like this one!"  That was easy. :) Zander's quilt is made of horizontal stripes that are 5 inches, 7 inches, and 9 inches wide.
Micah picked out a Black fabric with a blue circular design on it.  His quilt is made up of  9 x 12 inch rectangles.  I decided to make his quilt fade from dark to light using the color of levi.  Kind of a fun twist.

Silly boy!
Eli knew right away that he wanted green fabric on the back of his quilt.  He found this lime green and was so excited about it. His favorite animals are Alligators/Crocodiles and his favorite color is green, so I'm not surprised by his choice.  Eli's quilt is made up of 5 inch, 7 inch, and 9 inch stripes like Zander's quilt, but I made the stripes vertical. 

Lindey's quilt is 8 inch squares like Ian's.  Since she is our last baby, I cut up the maternity pants I wore while I was pregnant with her.  Some of her pockets have a little stork on them. :)  When asked about her fabric she said she wanted pink and purple flowers.  We searched long and hard in the fabric store for just the right one.  She was easily swayed, and picked out five or six different fabrics before settling on this cute pink one.  It had her pink and purple flowers, so she was a happy princess.  I love watching her lug her quilt all over the house. It's so heavy that she can barely pull it from room to room! :)

Now trying to get all the kids to cooperate and get 1 decent picture with their quilts was nearly impossible.

They kept hiding under them, pulling faces, and just being plain silly!
We had a lot of fun doing this photo shoot and being silly together while Dad napped. :)





Thanks, Ms. D for letting me be in a couple of pics with the kids and their quilts.  It was a labor of love and I know they love their quilts.  It was soooo worth it! :)


I love this crazy bunch!!

The last stitch went into the final quilt on April 9, 2014.
Our fun and silly photo shoot took place on April 20, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...